Bio

Debuting her highly anticipated freshman project, Frankie Parker is excited about her new-found reception as one of Chicago’s premier R&B singers/songwriters. With such songs as, “Divine Destiny”, “Divorce Party”, and “Hot Pot of Grits”, Frankie Parker combines vulnerability, life lessons, and most importantly love to create “Breezy”. Her currently released single, “Peace, Love, and Wine” was rotated on Chicago’s WVAZ 102.7 FM radio station and has received rave accolades. “This is a hit- an ultimate steppers’ cut”, says V103’s DJ Eric E.T. Taylor. Frankie Parker’s mature lyrics and derivatively vintage voice serves as a promising concoction for a music career full of success and longevity.

“Breezy” is a melodic diary that depicts the emotional changes one faces when dealing with marriage and its challenges. She combines her love for the old school R&B, hip-hop, and spoken word to create a fresh, yet familiar sound. Frankie Parker patterns this musically, semi-biographical journey after one of her favorite albums, entitled, “Here My Dear”, written by Marvin Gaye. “I consider my album to be the long-awaited response to “Hear My Dear”. Maybe when people listen to my project, it will prompt them to take a listen to what I consider as Marvin’s ‘hidden gem’”. Writing nine out of the ten songs on the “Breezy” project, Frankie paints vivid pictures, giving the listener an opportunity to envision themselves as the various characters written in each song. “Hot Pot of Grits”, has brought smiles to women and fear to men. After listening to “Grits”, DJ Neva from New Jersey City, New Jersey stated that “Grits” has, “Actual lyrics that actually have significance. Thank you.” DJ Chuckfresh from Des Moines, Iowa described the single as “smooth and also funny”. “Hot Pot of Grits” was voted as the 2010 number one single for independent artists on the “Marvell Gable Radio Show”. “Breezy” is scheduled to be released during the first quarter of 2012.

Although Frankie Parker is a talented songwriter, she has a natural niche for captivating her audience through her stage performances. Since the age of 4, she has been performing in front of a crowd. She’s performed at the House of Blues, The Grand Ole’ Opry, Close Up II, Northern Illinois University, The Green Dolphin, Little Black Pearl and many other Chicagoland venues. She’s opened for Montel Jordan, Shai, rapper Sweet Juices, the Stellar Awards, and others. In 2011, she took first prize at the Femme Fatale M.C. Music Competition. She creates an experience that allows the viewer to feel every note she sings. “Her show was awesome. She did her [thing] [for sure]…I’m feelin’ this joint”, says Philadelphia’s own DJ Russ.

Frankie Parker’s musical odyssey began at an early age. According to her parents, as a toddler, she taught herself how to change the albums on the turntable. At 5, she recorded her first album with a local community choir. After being involved with the school chorus, band, and several community choirs, she decided to pursue a degree in vocal performance at Columbia College- Chicago. Although she has yet to complete her education, she has applied all that she’s learned to her craft. Frankie has also trained at A&A Music Academy, studying vocal performance there, as well.

Frankie Parker is expected to have a large impact on the urban music scene in Chicago, and eventually the world. She is dedicated to perfecting her craft and continuing to write songs with substance and soul. When asked where she sees herself in five years, she confidently says, “I see myself on tour, with my band, and creating music for myself and others…You know, living the good life!”







Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Intro to Kid "Dropout"

As some of you already know, Jay-Z and Kanye are on the "Watch the Throne" Tour. They are performing their second show in Chicago tonight. I am totally hating on whoever bought tickets for the show tonight because I can't go (s/o to Seven Lee and Justin Parker...lol). I'm a huge fan of both artists, and this morning, I began reminiscing about my first encounters with their work. My discovery of Kanye's genius stuck with me the most.
It was February of '04. I was preparing to leave for my trip to New Orleans for the Mardi Gras festivities. The Tuesday before our departure, "College Dropout" hit the stores. During my lunch break (which was personally and disobediently extended) , I went to Best Buy to pick it up. Later that day, when I picked up my man from work, he asked if I would open up the cd and play it. I told him, flat-out, "NO! We will save this cd for the road trip to Louisiana."
So on the morning of our departure, we loaded the car with our luggage and listening material, and we headed south. When we reached the Kentucky state line, we decided it was time to listen. It was the perfect setting: us riding in our new car, through the hills and small mountains with the radio guiding us to our destiny. The moment I heard "Spaceship", I bursted into tears. That song touched my heart deeply; there's something about that "Distant Lover" sample that got all UP IN MY SPIRIT. I felt like that song was written for me and that moment of adventure. The album had a fresh sound, and it was totally different from any hip-hop that was being played on the commercial scene of Chicago's airwaves.
On the way home from our trip, the radio in our car stopped working. Can you imagine riding from the deep south to Chicago for over 14 hours without a radio? It was crazy! And all the way home, my man kept repeating, "I've been working this grave shift, and I ain't made s***. I wish I could buy me a spaceship and flyyyyy...."! I remember threatening him for singing it so much. It just goes to show you that real music can stick to you like oatmeal on a winter day.
Mr. West has created several albums since then, and I've bought every one of them. However, none have given me the feeling that "College Dropout" gave me. I can't play any of his recent music without running that album right behind it. Thanks Kanye for giving us G.O.O.D. music! Your throne is well-deserved!

No comments:

Post a Comment